Saturday, August 4, 2012

Letter to my nephew

My youngest nephew, Thomas, asked me to fill out a questionnaire on how or whether to oppose Iranian projects for nuclear weapons for a school project.

The Survey Monkey form did not allow for much beyond the strongly disagree, disagree, neutral or don't know, agree, strongly agree response, so as a thoughtful uncle I sent him the following note:

Ke aloha no!

I took your survey. Can you send a copy of your paper when it's done?

Allow me to offer a piece of information that no one seems to realize. Check with your dad to see if I'm right.'

Aside from the political or moral pros and cons, it is objected as a practical matter that if Iran has hidden its nuclear processing facilities deep underground, they will be invulnerable to attack from the air.

This may be true so far as direct bombing goes, but nuclear processing requires vast amounts of electricity. That's why America put its near the TVA and the Grand Coulee Dam. Iran's electrical generating plants are above ground. You could shut down Iran's nuclear processing by destroying its electric plants.

Uncle Harry

No comments:

Post a Comment