Saturday, May 14, 2016

An anecdote about sex

This is as much as RtO will say about North Carolina's HB2, sex changing and angry Christian bigots.

In 1977, I reported on the extensive gay bar scene in Des Moines. At a disco, I interviewed an 18-year-old. I was curious about how he had found the place, since while there were lots of gay bars of every variety in Des Moines, they all operated quietly. One was even behind an unmarked door in a warehouse.  

I was especially interested because this 18-year-old told me he'd been coming to the disco for years.

"My choir director brought me," he said.

(This story was never published. 40 years ago, even the devotedly liberal Des Moines Register was  too uncomfortable about homosexuality to print a story about gay bars.)




No comments:

Post a Comment