Thursday, May 8, 2014

Dropping the big one

So it seems we are to have a partisan congressional investigation of Benghazi, numero 8.

According to the New York Times, Democrats

 remain divided over whether to boycott the select committee. They are concerned that their participation would grant legitimacy to what they believe will be a partisan forum. But they also worry that if they avoid it they won't have the chance to counter GOP claims and defend potential witnesses — including Clinton, a possible 2016 presidential candidate.
Not being a Democrat, I don't get that. If I were a Democratic congresscritter, I'd be in the same mood as Clarence Darrow when he learned the opposing counsel in the Scope trial was going to be William Jennings Bryan. As T.H. Huxley allegedly muttered when Slippery Sam Wilberforce delivered his killer question at the debate on "Origin of Species": "The lord hath delivered him into my hands."

Rep. Trey Gowdy prepares to chair Benghazi committee
 If I were on the committee, I'd ask Hillary Clinton: "In your opinion, what has caused the 90% drop in attacks on American embassies since President Obama took office?"

I am sure there will be many other moments, too.  After all, if your opponent is working from the Fox News playbook, it will be really hard to lose.



No comments:

Post a Comment