Sunday, February 12, 2017

The not-so-grand inquisitor

Worth reading, from the ACLU blog.

The agent pressed. Did my meetings and talks abroad focus on US law or the law of other countries? Not understanding what any of this had to do with my ability to return home, I found myself explaining that in addition to the Constitution, the United States is bound by international treaties. I explained that there are fundamental human rights that belong to everyone and apply in all countries in the world, including the United States and that my work covers both.
For obvious reasons, there is no transcript but I can readily imagine the words: I remember McCarthyism.

Was the agent reading from a script?  Who provided that?

UPDATE

Twice now, I have listened to interviews in which the people being rounded up by ICE were described as "good citizens." No doubt there will be instances of this, if there have not been already, but in both interviews the speaker was referring to illegal immigrants.

Maybe they are good workers, good residents, maybe they would like to become citizens and might make good ones, but they are not citizens.

No comments:

Post a Comment